Comprehensive interpretation of the factors affecting lubricant consumption
Engine oil has four functions of cooling, lubrication, cleaning and sealing, which play a vital role in ensuring the normal operation of the engine. As engine operating time increases, engine oil is contaminated by high temperature oxidation, wear of mechanical parts, and fuel vapor corrosion. In addition, engine oil must have a certain amount of consumption in normal use.
Therefore, we must regularly check the oil level and the degree of contamination, which is why we need to change the oil regularly.
If the oil is below the specified value and affects the operation of the engine, it will cause fatal damage to the engine. Below we discuss in detail the reasons for the oil consumption and how to avoid the terrible consequences. Under normal circumstances, the oil will also be consumed. In essence, the engine that does not consume oil is not present. The reasons are as follows:
1. The oil is used to lubricate the piston, piston ring and cylinder. When the piston moves down, it will leave an oil film on the cylinder wall. When the vehicle is decelerating, the resulting high negative pressure draws some of this oil into the combustion chamber, which, like some of the oil film remaining on the cylinder wall, is burned by the high temperature combustion gases during the combustion process.
2. The oil is also used to lubricate the intake valve stem and is drawn into the combustion chamber. High-temperature exhaust gas also burns the oil used to lubricate the exhaust valve.
The following are the factors that affect the oil consumption:
1. Viscosity of the oil: The lower the viscosity of the oil, the worse the sealing effect, and the more the amount of oil is sucked into the combustion chamber.
2. Driving conditions of the vehicle: High-speed driving and frequent acceleration and deceleration will increase the consumption of oil.
3. During the high-speed driving process, the diluted components will evaporate, so the engine oil will be excessively consumed after running at high speed.
4. Since the new engine is not worn-in, it will consume more oil. Toyota's maximum consumption of running-in oil is: 1.0L/1000km.
Finally, it is recommended that you check the oil level every 1000 km. If conditions permit, it is best to check it every time you refuel.